Monday, March 8, 2010

Making Tea and Making Progress

Stenger lumber
A HUGE thank you to the "house rising" crew!! 3.07.2010
Jeff Bush happily helping out
Raising the first beam (one of 3 for this span)
How many guys does it take to raise a huge LVL beam - at least 8!! The beams are huge and heavy!!!
Papa taking a break with Karmann
Ready for the Tea party!
Checking out the progress in my pretty dress and coat!
Albertico is not happy he has to hang out with the girls at a tea party!
Lucia and her friends and Karmann, too!

This past weekend was an eventful one! Grandma and Papa Stenger arrived on Saturday morning - and work almost immediately started on the house! Kris and Steve (aka Papa) started to plan for the work that was going to get done on Sunday. Kris arranged a crew of friends and colleagues to help with the heavy lifting of the beams and trusses. I planned for breakfast and lunch, which was the least we could do for free labor!
Sunday was a brisk early start with the crew showing up at 7:30 am. As the photos show, the help was needed! I won't bore you with details, but they worked extremely hard all day getting the large LVL beams set in place. There were a few hick-ups, but when the Orange County Building Official is helping you, and Steve (who is a master craftsman), with the construction, then you know the decisions made are going to be the right ones! Steve was very helpful to think on his feet and help Kris be a leader in the decision making process. I also learned that in construction, things aren't perfect, and you have to work with what you've got. I actually decided that it would be better for everyone if I was not there during this phase, as it would drive me crazy dealing with the imperfections! So, I'll leave this phase to Kris and Steve, and I'll jump back in when the kitchen, baths, and finishes have to be installed! I think that will be best for all of us!
Everyday we have had some sort of learning experience whether it is about the construction process, dealing with contractors, utility companies, municipalities, financial institutions or just learning about how to design for construction - or in other words how to design in flexibility since construction is not a perfect science (which they don't teach you that in architecture school!) As stressful as building a house is, it is definitely a great education! And, as my mother always says "they may be able to take away your house and belongings, but no one can ever take away your education!" Wise words, Mom. I hope our house never gets taken away, but I certainly know we are gaining an education!!

No comments: